Thursday, December 4, 2008

Friday 10th October





























Depart Banos for Cuenca today, up 7am decide I actually have time to put on some make-up today which makes me feel a bit more human, go for a walk before breakfast at 9am to have one last look around Banos and feel a little sad about leaving here. Breakfast spread is same as yesterday so I have an omelette again with a good coffee. We are to depart 9.45am, await taxis outside our accommodation as ordered by Carla but they don't turn up, we have a public bus to catch so we start walking to taxi rank as if we wait too long we will miss our bus (the perils once again of not having a designated tour bus but it is an adventure tour and it does make it interesting). What a crazy place the streets are this morning, there is some sort of foot race happening and the traffic is mad we have a lot of trouble getting to the bus station but manage to make it just in time. We board bus for 2 hour trip to Rio Bamba where we will have a toilet stop, believe me you don't get many so we must make the most of it. Sang very kindly offers to stay and watch our bags as it is quite difficult to get off with them as we are seated at the back of the bus and not much room to get through very narrow aisles and people standing up talking and not moving to let us Gringos through. While stopped here they load some furniture including a rather large wardrobe onto roof of bus, we are hoping it is tied on securely. Arrive Cuenca 7pm it has been a very long day and we are all tired, we drop our bags off and meet in foyer 7.15pm to go to dinner, Carla takes us on a short (we are hoping as we are all tired and hungry) tour to the town square where I come over all dizzy and nauseous, I think I am dehydrated as being on the bus all day with few toilet stops I didn't drink very much, the group make me sit down and Rebecca gives me what she has left of her water, 10 minutes or so and I am feeling much better but still a little light headed so we go to find a restaurant. Go to 2 restaurants which are very busy and I feel like I can't wait much longer, finally we get seated and I order a bottle of water which does help but don't get my meal until 9pm everyone else gets theirs before me and are kindly offering me food but I am feeling ok by now just very tired. The meal was excellent. Get to bed around 11pm, finally.

No comments: